Baked Broccoli-Cheddar Quinoa Bites
These savory muffin-like quinoa bites are low in carbs and a good source of protein–plus we love their cheesy flavor. Source: Diabetic Living Magazine, Summer 2019
- ½ cup quinoa
- ⅛ teaspoon salt plus 1/4 teaspoon, divided
- ¾ cup finely chopped broccoli
- ¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 16 cups of a 24-cup mini muffin pan with paper liners (see Tip) or coat with cooking spray.
- Step 2 Cook quinoa with 1/8 tsp. salt according to package directions. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Step 3 Add broccoli, Cheddar, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt to the quinoa. Stir in egg.
- Step 4 Divide the quinoa mixture among the prepared muffin cups, pressing firmly with lightly moistened fingers. Mist the tops with cooking spray.
- Step 5 Bake until golden, 22 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes, then remove to the rack to cool completely.
If you use paper liners, refrigerate the baked bites for at least 2 hours before removing from the liners, to prevent sticking.
To make ahead: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Equipment: Mini-muffin pan (24-cup)